↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Tricky part corroding
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
mattia.CH

Switzerland 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Keswick Green
Tricky part corroding
Hi -I am usually not afraid of handling corrosion (after building up quite some experience) but I fear I'm out of my depth here. What would imply treating this part?

Click image to enlarge
Post #1033899 5th May 2024 7:54pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
You’d need a paint match colour matched and clear coat you could use aerosol here and check a colour match here first.

3M brand blue masking tape, 3M red scotch sanding pad, and remove and loose paint or bubbles.
Clean with panel wipe or isopropyl alcohol, then when flashed off acid etch primer or epoxy type primer as a sealer, then a thin guide coat of body colour and flat that to the primer, then amici coat of body colour, flash off and then the clear about 20 mins to 30 mins later.
Ideally I wouldn’t contemplate it in anything less than 21.C and a humidity under 60%, so a summer day is ideal.
If it was a bigger area you’d use wet and dry sand paper and a sanding block on larger flat areas.

You could do a touch up for the time being using base colours on the edges but it wouldn’t look “perfect or matching but would be protected from the elements.
Mines got a few spots just like that, but you get character with age anyway. Laughing
Sometimes protection is more important than, how it looks but if you can do both that is ideal.

Personally I’d consider touching it up with a small brush on the edges for now, then do it when the conditions are right if you wish to.
The trouble is, the rear of those pieces are often not painted, the edges the paint is thinner and more exposed.
When painted and cured after a couple of months, that’s the sort of thing that ACF 50 would be ideal to spray behind there and other seams.
Beware of any wind or breeze when painting, for now an artists paint brush might be ideal.
The 3M branded masking tape will soo the precision masking, but the larger area you might want to use brown paper or plastic masking film as you don’t want any overspray going on anything else anywhere or that is a problem in its self.
It’s not as difficult as it sounds, cleanliness and suitable conditions are most important really.

Hope that helps. Thumbs Up Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #1033903 5th May 2024 9:00pm
TexasRover

France 2002 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Chawton White
Looks to me like this will never be solid with just a touch up, unless you garage the car and use it in dry conditions only.

What you are looking at is the galvanic corrosion take place between dissimilar metals, which can only be fixed with disassembly and painting of the individual components, ideally galvanizing the metal pieces (not sure, did they stop galvanizing at later years?).

But sure you can tart it up and will look good for a while..
Post #1033927 6th May 2024 8:31am
jfh

South Africa 2007 Defender 110 300 Tdi SW Chawton White
Remove, treat, paint and install.
Post #1033973 6th May 2024 5:54pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1